Philippians – The letter of joy in Christ
Ephesians is more universal.
Philippians is more personal.
Favorite verses from Philippians
- For me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. (1:21)
- Let the mind of Christ be in you. (2:5)
- Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice. (4:4)
- The peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. (4:7)
- I can do everything through him who gives me strength. (4:13)
- And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus. (4:19)
Joy in Christ
“Joy is the flag that flies over the castle when the king is in residence.”
At least ten times in these four chapters Paul refers to “joy” – and remember this is a man in prison whose time is running out.
The joy is not in circumstances but in Christ: Paul was “a man in Christ.”
- The serving of Chris is his identity (1:1)
- The exalting of Christ is his life (1:20,21)
- The desire to be with Christ is his greatest longing (1:23)
- The attitude of Christ is his rule of life (2:5)
- The knowledge of Christ is worth more than everything (3:8)
- The coming of Christ is what he waits for (3:21)
- The goal of Christ (the heavenward call) presses him on. (3:15)
- The peace of God guards his heart in Christ (4:7)
- The grace of Christ is his final greeting (4:25)